Well I’m pretty sure we got about 2 weeks of fall here in Chicago and now winter is upon us! I went back to Seattle this past weekend for a quick visit to catch up with old friends and meet all the new babies (how cute are they?!). So fun! Over lots of wine, all the girls gave me a list of all the things I needed to blog about, and one of them was where to find the best leggings and tunics. So here you go girls!
Leggings and tunics are a year round staple for me now, in varying weather and occasion appropriate options. In the summer a lightweight pair looks cute with a sleeveless tunic and sandals, and in the winter they tuck right into booties and are an easy option with a long cozy sweater. Best part is, that leggings travel well and take up less space than other pant options. And now that I travel with just a carry on almost 100% of the time, I can fit more outfits in that way!
Let’s start with our leggings as the base:
1. When I need a lighter weight legging, American Eagle has very affordable options that I love. These are great for warmer days or lounging around the house, I have most of the colors. There is also a high-waisted option! I wear a medium in these.
2. If you only add one pair of leggings to your wardrobe, it should be the Spanx faux leather leggings. Everyone raves about these! Worth the money. They dress up, dress down, and make your legs and butt look fabulous. I wear a medium in these.
3. Next on my to buy list, when I bite the bullet and shell out for them, are the Spanx pebbled leather leggings. I imagine they would get a lot of use as well.
4. Also worth the price are these Commando denim leggings. They have comfy control top and are very slimming. Definitely a staple that work year round. I imagine I would love their basic black leggings just as much. Wear a medium in these.
5. My go-to leggings for cooler weather and when I just need something thicker with more support, are my Fabletics Salar Leggings. I was very happy to also pick these up in a cold weather version that is lined with a very thin layer of fleece, yay! I wear a small in these.
6. I couldn’t resist picking up the Spanx Velvet Leggings… just too pretty to resist! I know they will get a lot of use during our long winter when I want a dressier option, and will be perfect for the holidays. Wear a medium.
Spanx Velvet Leggings – $98
7. Last but not least, ended up trying a pair of these pinstripe Loft leggings on and they were an instant favorite. Definitely a go-to for work with the right top. Wear a small.
Onto the second, but very important part of the equation… tunics! My rule is that your crotch and rear definitely need to be covered. Leggings are not pants! Keep in mind that I’m about 5’6, so if you are taller you might want to consider that these may be shorter for you, or see if a tall option is available to try. Going to start with more casual options, moving to dressier options, and then sweaters.
1. You’ve seen these tanks mentioned before in my Travel Basics post, I honestly own about 5 white ones, and a few in all of the other colors because I wear them so much. They look shorter on the model, but in a medium on me, they are the perfect length for a base layer with leggings. I imagine a small would still fit but be shorter. There is also a tall and petite option! You can throw basically any cardigan (longer ones especially) or cute jacket over these to make an outfit.
2. Old Navy often comes through for me with affordable tunic options, and I just wore this one on the trip home from Seattle, along with my faux leather leggings and some wedge sneakers. It is so cozy and comfy! Comes in multiple colors and I wear a medium.
3. I wore this cute and casual funnel neck sweatshirt in Seattle for a comfy day outfit. And now it’s on sale! Also a great travel top.
4. Ann Taylor has really been a go-to for tunics this year, especially ones I can wear to work. They make great blouses with a flattering shape. I wear a small in these.
Contrast Piped Tunic Top – $79.50 for blue, but white and olive available for $59.99 (plus 40% off)
5. This is a dressier layering tunic that I love, and also on sale now! Looks great with a cardigan or cute blazer. Wear a small.
Sleeveless Tunic – $49.99 (plus 40% off)
6. If your budget is a little bigger, Equipment makes beautiful silk blouses that are just long enough for leggings if you’re not too tall. I was able to rent this one with my Rent the Runway subscription. I wore a medium, but probably could have done a large for a bit of an oversize look.
7. These tunic sweaters from Express are my go-to’s with leather leggings for a night out. A little slouchy and sexy, but cozy too. Wear a medium for a bit of oversize fit.
8. My Barefoot Dreams Circle Cardigan gets tons of use once the temps cool off. I can wear it at home and out to run errands. I layer over my Old Navy tanks typically. So warm and cozy, and also lots of colors! Wear a medium.
9. I haven’t had a chance to try this cute tunic sweater from Old Navy yet, but it is a great basic to throw on and add some jewelry to, and you can dress up or down depending on footwear. Also comes in lots of gorgeous colors. I’ve been running more of a medium lately in their tops.
10. If you want to splurge, what could be prettier than this cashmere turtleneck sweater. Just beautiful and comes in a few different colors. If you can score at 40% off even better. Typically a small in Ann Taylor tops.
And last but not least, Loft has a whole section dedicated to tunics, and they are all 40% off right now! Shop here.
Any of your favorite options I’m missing? Happy Shopping!