We are having a bit of a heat wave here in Seattle right now, and since my Summer clothes are just now being pulled out I’m not quite sure I’m ready for Fall yet, but the stores have decided it is time to start thinking about it!
One of my readers, Kristin, sent me this request though “I was wondering if you could maybe do a “Must Have List for Fall 2012″ with some very simple and affordable pieces that we can wear casually. I’m really into high waisted flares and was wondering what color blazers are best for fall??”. Well, thank you for the suggestion! Here we go…
2. And while we are on mustard, I’m also very excited to mix the mustard jeans I picked up from the Loft, seen below, in with my wardrobe. I’m planning on wearing with royal purple, winter white, and leopard print among other things. See options here, here , and here.
3. If you are looking for something to invest in, I think a black leather pencil skirt is a fabulous item. I love mine! Chic, but with an edge. And if you don’t want to invest in one, or want to test run a cheaper option first, there are a lot of great faux options out there as well. My friend, Sam, just picked a great one up for F21 for less than $25 and I was impressed with the quality. Real options here, here, and here. Faux options here and here. Maybe that is a little too much leather for you? Try one that just has leather trim or accents.
4. Peplum! I’m loving this trend. Anyone else with me? It is a trend going strong and I’m hoping to add a few peplum pieces in addition to my H&M blouse (which by the way, I can’t wait to wear with my leather pencil skirt). I’m loving this jade green long sleeved one below from Asos. A few others I like here, here, and here. And I really want a leather one like this or this too!
5. As for pants, I’m not seeing a ton of high-waisted ones out there available right now, although wide leg is definitely going to be in. If it is high waisted your after, I would give these Stella pants from Victoria’s Secret a try. I personally would go with a mid-rise instead, like this Rosie cut from Victoria’s Secret, seen below.
6. You will mostly be seeing me in my favored skinny pants, they are still going strong for Fall! However, I am loving the printed pant (or denim) trend, and am excited to rock my polka dot skinny jeans (unfortunately no longer available, but similar below). Also loving the idea of animal prints, or abstract prints, we will have to test those out and see. Options here, here, and here.
7. You all know my love for blazers, and I’m hoping to add a few more colors for Fall. I’m particularly loving the idea of a deep teal or royal blue. Other options here, here, and here. I also wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a mustard or rich red blazer either. Also, always check H&M, I adore their blazers.
8. Shoes!! Ah, a good Fall shoe. I must say that I think if I can only choose one it would have to be a great pair of high heel loafers. See here, here, and here. But I must say, the Rachel Zoe shoes below are to die for. If I had the money I would buy them immediately! I’m guessing more of this style in better pricing will be out in a few months.
9. Sweaters. We all need good layering basics for when the weather gets chilly, and as already mentioned in my Old Navy Picks post, I’m loving these printed sweaters they have. I plan on wearing my polka dot sweater below with a cargo vest layered over it, and also layering over a chambray shirt. Planning on wearing with my mustard jeans too, and maybe with my leather pencil skirt as well to casualize it a bit – so many ways to mix it up.
10. And finally, let me just throw a few things out here that I consider Fall staples, already in my closet to be used this Fall and many more to come. My leopard print scarf is a go to item (similar here and here). My Steve Madden Intyce boots are the perfect go-to casual boot – yes, I realize lots of people have them, there is a reason for that. And last but not least, I love a good tunic or sweater dress – when in doubt throw it on over leggings, add a scarf and boots and you are ready to go.
Hope that helps Kristin! What are your Fall Must Have’s this year?