I know we are a few days past the 1st of the year already, but when you are documenting your life on a blog, I think it is fun to reflect back on the events of the prior year and think about some goals for the coming year. For some people resolutions don’t work. For me, whatever you call them, I think setting some goals for the year can’t hurt. I won’t beat myself up if I don’t reach them all 100%, but I think writing down some things you want to accomplish can be a good reminder to look back on periodically.
Here are some of my favorite “New Year” posts if you want to check them out.
Here is what I accomplished in 2011 that makes me smile:
1. Got married to a wonderful person! Planned my own wedding, and with the help of very generous family and friends had the perfect day that I will look back on and smile for year’s to come. I also got to go to Europe for the first time in my life!
2. Started this blog. This has been such a fun creative outlet for me, and I am so happy to feel like I have made some wonderful blogger friends. I really appreciate how all of you readers out there have been supportive and inspire me to put thought into what I wear each day and to try/create new recipes.
3. Found a lifestyle that just makes sense to us! Eating real, quality food, not just blindly following conventional wisdom, and educating ourselves has made my husband and I the happiest and healthiest we have ever been. I no longer fight hunger or spend time on a treadmill thinking that is the key to liking what I see in the mirror. I don’t nod off at the table because I just can’t keep my eyes open anymore. My energy has skyrocketed and maintaining a weight I am happy with is easy.
4. Made it through Crossfit bootcamp classes and Crossfit Onramp!
Looking forward to 2012, here are some things I would like to accomplish:
1. Continue blogging! I specifically want to push myself out of my comfort zone to try new outfit combos that I wouldn’t otherwise reach for and perhaps find a spot for outdoor/better photos, at least occasionally. As for cooking, I want to try new spices and vegetables, as well as learn how to use my pressure cooker. Let’s also include trying to get my husband to eat spinach here…
2. I don’t want to simply fit into my skinny jeans (although I want to continue that as well), I want to be strong and fit too. So I would like to go to Crossfit 2X a week and also take a walk around the neighborhood with my husband at least once a week after work. (Let’s hope for at least one dry day!)
3. Pull out my old sewing machine from storage and try my hand at sewing some clothes. I have a degree that required sewing class after all! Along these lines I’d like to not always head straight to Ann Taylor or Nordstrom for some retail therapy, but give treasure hunting at thrift stores a shot to see if I can’t turn someone else’s cast off into a gem with said sewing machine occasionally.
4. Grow my SmartStyle Seattle business. I need to focus on doing the legwork to set myself up to succeed.
5. Eat out less. Not only because it is a good way to save money (I would rather have shoes!), but because that way I know exactly what I am putting into my body. I want to do more prepping on the weekends for lunches and have meals cooked that can be reheated if there isn’t time to cook or I am feeling lazy.
Whether you set resolutions for yourself or not, I hope 2012 is a year filled with happiness, health and success for all of you!
Now some of you might have skipped straight to today’s outfit after all that! I love this navy blue sweater but haven’t actually worn it this winter yet, I’m thinking it may get more time out of the closet in the Spring. I’m not big on wearing lots of layers generally, so I love pieces like this that have great detailing built right in to achieve visual interest easily. I am also very happy I picked up these grey boots in New York at an after Christmas sale, a fun change from just black or brown.
Did you pick up anything good in the after Christmas sales?