So I started out with this recipe from The Primal Palate as my guide, but then changed a whole bunch of stuff, but I’m guessing their recipe is delicious as well!
I had taken out some chicken breasts on Sunday night, I had a spaghetti squash on hand, and wanted something simple to make. Stir fry! This would have served 4, for us it was dinner and then leftovers for lunch, yum.
- Chicken or beef – I used 2 large organic chicken breasts (Whole Foods has value packs you can buy which are great)
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 small or 1 large bell pepper sliced (I used 2 red)
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped (I didn’t have green onion, so used half a yellow onion, I think either would be good
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsps. Coconut Oil (you could use butter here too I’m sure)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger (You could use fresh too)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups broccoli (I used 1 small bag frozen)
- 2 cups Spaghetti Squash (I used all of a small one)
- Sesame oil – 1 or 2 tsps
- Coconut Aminos or Gluten free soy sauce (4 Tbsps)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro and Lime to garnish (optional, but I like the flavor it adds!)
Chop up vegetables and chicken (you can also pour yourself a glass of wine here too!)
Poke spaghetti squash all over with a knife and then put in microwave for 5-10 minutes. My small one only took 5 minutes. It is done when it is soft all over the outside. Set aside to cool when it is done.
In a large skillet (biggest you have!) melt coconut oil over medium high and add chicken to pan, with some salt and pepper, and begin to sautee. To save time, I pushed my chicken to one side and added garlic and onion to the other side to soften up before mixing.
Continue sauteeing until chicken is cooked on the outside, then add celery, bell peppers, and broccoli to pan.
It will be pretty full at this point, but will cook down. Now add your rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and ground ginger to skillet and sautee for a few more minutes.
While that is cooking, cut your spaghetti squash in half, scoop out seeds and scrap into bowl. Then add to skillet all of it if it is a small one, or half for a large one. Mix it in well with the veggies and sauce. For the last minute, add your seseme oil to pan and mix in.
Then serve topped with cilantro, crushed almonds and a little lime juice!